As a child I ate a lot of sequilhos and not infrequently baked them myself. But please only serve with tea or coffee.
It is a very dry pastry and doesn’t fit so well without some liquid.
- 500 grams of corn flour (very finely painted corn flour, in Brazil called Fuba Mimoso)
- 200 grams of sugar
- 200 grams of margarine (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- Grated orange peel (or orange oil)
- Mix everything evenly and knead for at least 12 minutes. Cornmeal does not paste like wheat, so it needs to be mixed well. If too dry, add some water.
- Bake lightly golden brown at 180 degrees for 10 minutes, then bake at 160 degrees for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool for at least an hour before serving.